Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Part of my truth

When I was 4 (one month before my 5th birthday), my dad died. He never saw me grow-up or drive a car. He never saw me graduate or ever got to walk me down the aisle. Never danced with me at my wedding or met my husband. He will never be a grandpa to my kids or see me be a mom. I have 1 or 2 clear memories of times with my dad. Things have been told to me, but I don't actually remember them happening. I think of all the things my kids do with their dad and I'm sad because I did those same things and have no recollection of them. What if he died? My kids would never remember the man that was their dad. They wouldn't remember the tickle fights and wrestling matches and games of chase and hide & seek. The things I've been told have all been things that I would have loved to see. He lead men's bible studies; he was involved in Cadet's (a christian version of Scouts for boys). I've been told he's a lot like my grandpa in his mannerisms and his humour. But, to be honest, I have no idea if what they are saying is true. How do I know if my truth is true?

No comments:

Post a Comment